Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Falling In Love With Yourself

I was just about to walk out the door to go do some grocery shopping while I was thinking about this, and I just felt like I had to put it in writing. So here you go.


Don't get me wrong, falling in love with someone is great. But falling in love with yourself is the single greatest thing you will ever do. Fall in love with what you can do, fall in love with your dreams, fall in love with the fact that you sometimes make weird faces without noticing, fall in love with the fact that no matter what you do your hair will always fall flat and straight and a little bit frizzy, fall in love with the reality of who you are.

I have always hated myself. I've always hated the way I look, the way my voice sounds, the way I can't form a coherent sentence without stuttering at least 2/3 of it. Work towards changing what you don't like, but accept that some things can't be changed and move on to fighting bigger and better battles. You have a set amount of time each day, and every second that you don't spend hating something (whether that be someone else, yourself, or something around you), you have the opportunity to spend that second loving something instead.

The last 6 months or so of my life I have spent in a genuine state of happiness, something I didn't think I'd ever know the feeling of after suffering through depression since I was about 12 years old. I have bad days (hell, I've had about 4 of them in the last week), but I can still feel happy at my core. There are things around me that make me sad, but they just feel like little spots of sadness as opposed to one giant overwhelming cloud of sadness. I read somewhere a quote from the author of the book "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" and it said something like "Ask yourself this question: Will this matter a year from now?" I've found that 95% of the time, it won't. It won't matter that you got a stain on that brand new shirt, it won't matter that someone accidentally unplugged the freezer and ruined all the food you just bought, it won't matter that you didn't get the best grade on that paper, and it won't matter that your coworker is occasionally your least favorite person on the planet, it just won't matter.

Love yourself. That's a dare.

"You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection."  – Buddha

"Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world." - Lucille Ball 

"To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance." - Oscar Wilde 


No comments:

Post a Comment