Monday, June 11, 2012

June Birchbox

Haven't done one of these posts in awhile. I'm usually too excited to start using the products I get that I never remember to take a picture or make notes of what I thought when I first tried to products. This month, however, I decided that I was so excited that I wanted to share it. I knew the theme this month was going to be Jetsetter, which is perfect since I am traveling to California at the end of the month. In this Birchbox I got:

  • Juliette Has a Gun Not a Perfume scent
  • Melvita Rose Floral Water
  • Stila Stay All Day 10-in-1 HD Beauty Balm (BB cream)
  • theBalm Cosmetics Stainiac in Beauty Queen
  • Modcloth headband

I don't think I could have picked a better box if I wanted to. I had seen the sneak preview to some of the products they were sending out this month (they were sampling over 40!) on their YouTube channel, so I had an idea of what I wanted. I knew I really wanted the rose water, which is just a spray that you mist on your face for extra moisture, which is perfect for someone like me who has dry skin. 

What I Thought
Not a Perfume - Despite its name, it actually is a perfume, but what makes it different is that there is only one note in it. It's just an amber scent and nothing more. I know that sounds boring, but, nooooo, it's incredible. I'm already a huge fan of any scent with amber notes, so when that's all there is, I'm in heaven. I put it on this morning when I got the box in the mail and now, at 5 pm, it's still smells just as nice as this morning. It is pretty pricey, though. It's about $85 for 50 ml of it (1.69 oz).
Rose Floral Water - Like I said, this was what I was most excited about, and it did not disappoint. It reminds me of Urban Decay's setting sprays (which I use every day), but this just moisturizes and does not help set your makeup. It smells really nice and fresh, and I'm sure will be perfect to help with the dry air on the plane. $22 for a 6.8 oz bottle, which you can also get in orange blossom or lavender as well as the rose. 
All Day 10-in-1 HD BB cream - I actually just hopped on the BB cream bandwagon a few days ago when I picked up the Garnier BB cream. I wasn't sure how I was going to like BB creams because I'm not typically a huge fan of tinted moisturizers, but they're pretty much nothing like a tinted moisturizer. Or, rather, they're everything a tinted moisturizer should be, but never is. I may or may not do a review of the Garnier one when I've tried it out a bit more. This Stila one is pretty great, but I would still stick with the Garnier one. Stila does not give as much coverage, but it's a lot more refreshing and cooling on the skin. I think the Stila one may be better for a day at the beach or something similar, while the Garnier one might be great for just everyday wear. For the price, though, I'd just stick with the Garnier BB cream ($11 for 75 ml), because the Stila BB cream is $38 for 45 ml. It also does not offer an SPF, whereas the Garnier one offers SPF 15. 
Lip/Cheek Stain - I really like stains, because I think they give you a more natural look, plus you can build them up to the point you want or leave them at a more natural look. This one is great, has a really nice natural lip and cheek color to it, and has no taste. The other great part about stains is that they'll last you forever because it only takes a tiny bit. This is $17 for .3 oz and comes in this red color that I got, plus a light pink color, or a brown/nude color. 
Modcloth headband - Other than the pattern, which I am not a fan of (it's red with white polka dots), I really, really like this headband. This is the one I received, and, although I'm not a fan of the bright color, I think I may look into buying one just like it but in a more toned down color or pattern. The wires in it help it stay in place and makes it easy to mold. Plus, a free $14 headband? I'll take it. Especially when I only pay $10 for the whole damn box! 

If you want to sign up for Birchbox (and I highly recommend it!), click here. Not only does it only cost $10 a month (and you always get at least that much worth of stuff, and usually more), but you also earn 10 points per product that you review (usually there are 4-5 products to review each month from your box), and after 100 points you get $10 off an order. So basically every other month is paying for itself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment