Thursday, November 3, 2011

NaNoWriMo progress (or lack thereof)

I know, I know, I know. I know what's going through your head right now. She's giving up already?! Well, yes and no. Before you laugh at me, let me explain. On the last day of October one of my managers at work quit, following another manager who quit just 3 days before. Those hours (which were a collective 75 hours a week) now fall onto the shoulders of the rest of the employees, me being one of them, until we can find new managers. The one day off I had this week was the last day of October and I have no days off next week, so essentially for the first two weeks (and also into the foreseeable future) I don't get a day off. That is until the third week of November when I have some fairly major dental work happening, which will put me out of commission for at least a day, possibly two. What I'm saying is, until at least the 20th of November, my life will be nothing except work. Well, that's 2/3 of NaNoWriMo just gone out the window. And it sucks. I really love my story and I love my characters and I honestly think it has a lot of potential, but right now I just can't give it the time and commitment that it deserves. And you know what, there are way worse problems to have than "too much" work, so I'm not too sad about this (my feet are another story).
With that being said, what I've decided to do instead is something I've dubbed NaNoReMo (National Novel Reading Month) because as I sat here last night and debated NaNo I realized that I haven't actually finished a book in a long time. I've started a million of them, but then, for some reason, I get busy with something and throw it to the wayside. According to my Good Reads account, which I keep pretty updated, the last book I finished was Mockingjay on January 15, 2011. And, honestly, I'm pretty sure it's right. That means I haven't finished a book in almost a year. A YEAR. I know, it's horrible. Just horrible. And I love reading! I don't know what happened. This year was just so crazy for me I guess. BUT, this will all change during NaNoReMo. I even realized that every single book I purchased during the Austin Teen Book Festival in 2009 has gone unread. This is the list of books I am following for NaNoReMo (I'm not saying I'll finish the list, just that these are books I have to read and want to be part of this):
1. Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (No, I don't want to hear about it. Yes, I've read it before. I want to read it again before the movie. I didn't read any of the other books over before the movie, so I thought I should for at least one of them. It's my last chance to see it in my head like I see it and not how the movie will depict it.)
2. Paper Towns by John Green (Yes, I know that it's horrible that I've never read it. I've owned it for like 3 years, but I've just honestly never read it. I think it's time.)
3. Tips on Having a Gay (ex)Boyfriend by Carrie Jones
4. The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
5. The Lovers Dictionary by David Levithan
6. Matched by Ally Condie
7. Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler
8. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

1 comment:

  1. I suggest reading The Lovers Dictionary first. It's an insanely quick read. Makes you feel all accomplished. lol. :)

    ReplyDelete